Running is popular because it is accessible to mostly anyone, you don’t need to have a gym membership to run! Plus it gives you great results. Getting into running isn’t a walk in the park though (haha get it?) however there are some things you can do to make running better for you.
- Eat an hour or so before working out, preferably something with complex carbs. This will help you keep energized during your run.
- Drink water through out the day or morning before you run. You dont want to become dehydrated while running.
- STRETCH. Make sure you stretch before hand so that you dont end up pulling anything. I like to do a short session of yoga before I go running because it is a good warm up and gets my muscles ready.
- Find a route or set a goal. If you plan on running outside find a route that you like, you can google your city and running paths. If you are running inside on treadmill then set a goal for yourself as to how much you want to walk/run.
- Listen to music that keeps you pumped up! this will make the time go by faster and its just fun lol.
- Set small goals. If I am running outside then I like to set small goals like “okay im going to run to that tree over there and not stop on the way” then I just focus on the tree and then take a break.
- Start off slow! you will not be able to run 3 miles non stop if this is the first time you run. Start off with a walk then run combo and increase your time every time you run.
- Cool down by walking.
- Keep hydrated.
- Stretch again.
Cool Things To Have as a Runner:
- Really good running shoes. You should always have good running shoes but sometimes its good to splurge a bit on shoes to motivate you to go out.
- A water bottle with a handle on it. I got mine at a sporting goods store. It allows me to strap the bottle to my hand so I can run easily with it.
- APPS! There are SO many cool apps for running! My favorite ones are: Zombies,Run! , C25K and map my run.
- ipod/phone armband. This keeps you from having to hold them in your hand.
- Fitbit or Heart Rate Monitor. These will help you see your progress.
So these are MY tips for new runners :) What are some of yours?